Finally a successful maiden flight! Here are some post-maiden photos of my T-28 Trojan from ParkZone.
This tiny dots to the right and left of the cockpit mark the Parkzone recommended center-of-gravity (2.5″ back from leading edge, measured 1″ out from the fuselage). I moved it forward by about 0.5″ and it flew better.
On my first flight, the elevator was trimmed way too far up, leading to a near-death experience. I landed it, fixed the elevator sub-trim, moved the CG forward 0.5″ and it flew beautifully. In your pre-flight checklist, be sure to verify that the elevator is totally level (co-planer, to use geometry terms) with the horizontal stabilizer forward of it.
This shows my battery compartment and where I positioned my 2200mah battery pack to balance properly. I used velcro to secure the battery to the floor of the battery compartment.
To fit my battery as far aft as I did, I needed to remove some foam from the bottom of the cockpit:
This is where I mounted the ParkBEC as an insurance policy against the included speed controller’s crappy BEC. Since this is a switching BEC, it produces a lot of electromagnetic interference, so you want to put it as far away as possible from your receiver and antennae. Even though it creates lots of EMI, it creates virtually no heat, since it is very efficient at stepping voltages down.
My last landing was gorgeous. I even held a 10 degree flare during final approach that really greased it in for a smooth touch down and roll out. However, the left wing must have caught something hard (a particularly hardy blade of grass perhaps) that pulled the left landing gear right off. Nothing a bit of epoxy won’t fix:
What a great flyer. This is truly a bank-and-yank plane and is very easy to fly. The motor provides adequate lift to climb out at 45 degrees all the while showing no sign of slowing. The vertical is limited to about 30 or 40 feet from flat flight, and the roll rate is very very slow and non-axial. It flies just slightly better than a brushless HobbyZone Super Cub with ailerons. I think I need to increase my aileron servo travel to get some really good rolls. I will probably also mix in some differential to make the rolls more axial and pattern-like.
Oh, and I’m fairly certain that in a few months, it’ll be time to upgrade the motor for insane speed and unlimited vertical.