How to (really) change the calendar colors on your iPhone
The iPhone doesn’t (easily) let you change the colors of your calendar items. Couple this with the fact that there are lots of ways to setup calendar sync’ing, and it’s easy to get discouraged.
For me, my work calendar and my personal calendar both showed up as nearly the same shade of red. Fail.
Here’s how I fixed it. This only works if you have the following situation:
- iPhone OS 3.0 or newer
- Using Google Calendar with CalDAV (not Exchange)
- Note: I use Exchange for my work calendar and Google for my personal calendar, and I want them both on my iPhone with different colors
Steps to change the color (this takes about 5 minutes if nothing goes wrong).
- Open iCal on your Mac (don’t have a Mac? Maybe Mozilla Sunbird can do this too)
- Subscribe to your Google Calendar (instructions to do this
- In the sidebar, notice your new calendar appears
- Right-click on the new calendar and select Get Info
- Now change the color to what you want
- Do nothing, and in a couple minutes your iPhone calendar items will have the new color
If you can’t get iCal setup, don’t fret. It does work. Double check your URL you typed to subscribe to your Google Calendar. Don’t forget the “/user” at the end. Follow Google’s instructions (see link above) very closely.